Approximately a month after patch 3.1 hit, I reached 450 Fishing, having started at 0. A month to reach 450 seems damn good to me and I don't think that would have been possible previous to the patch, with my rhythm.
On the other hand I found that once you get over 350 you can stop worrying about your skill, assuming you have a few items of that give bonuses to fishing.
During this month I was lucky to have a few rare items drop for me and I also managed to equip myself with some good fishing gear:
- Kalu'Ak Fishing Pole - I had this before but once I hit Fishing 300 I could equip it and it gives a nive +30 fishing bonus
- Weather-Beaten Fishing Hat - lucky bastard that I was, it dropped for me soon after the patch, from the Dalaran fishing daily. I haven't seen it since. Not only does this awesome hat give a +5 bonus to fishing, it also has a +75 lure that has a 10 minute duration and a 10 minute cooldown, making it a permanent +75 bonus in effect.
- +2 Fishing Enchant to Gloves - very cheap to get and I suggest you should put this enchant on a pair of gloves that you upgraded from, meaning that they will still have good stats on them, in case you get attacked while fishing or forget to swap them out after fishing.
- Sea Turtle Mount - I was very lucky to get this soon after patch 3.1 came out.
- Magical Crawdad - I was dreading having to fish for this mount but in the end I got it on my first Mr. Pinchy, from his last wish.
- Strand Crawler - another random drop from the Dalaran fishing daily.
I have yet to see any of the bucket croc pets from the Shattrath daily and I haven't had a single fishing line drop, which is a bit sad, as I was hoping to enchant my fishing pole. Furthermore, no Tiny Titanium Lockbox has dropped from the Dalaran daily.
Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with my fishing exploits post-3.1. My combined fishing skill (after all the bonuses) is 562 which means I can damn well fish anywhere in the game without getting junk.
Once again, I will heartily recommend Fishing Buddy which is an awesome addon for fishing. It just makes your life as a fisherman a lot easier and best of all, it tells you how many casts you need until you gain a skill point.
The only thing that bugs me right now is the Shattrath fishing daily. I'm tired of doing both the fishing AND the cooking dailies but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an end to them until I get all the bucket pets and the remaining cooking recipes that I need. I just hope luck REALLY shines my way and all 4 bucket pets drop in 4 consecutive days. Fat chance.