Pages

Sunday, August 11, 2013

An update on WoW Alone

Hi all,

I have recently received a communication from a fan of this blog (who would've thought I still had fans?), asking me to give an update on my gaming life and what I've been up to since I stopped posting here. First, thank you dear reader for sticking with this blog for so long and for keeping an interest in it. Surprisingly I still get some traffic, though I have no idea why people still visit. Second, here's an update that should hopefully clear things up.

1. I obviously quit posting on WoW Alone. The last post was more than a year ago. The last 10 or so posts weren't even about WoW. When I quit WoW, I did it cold turkey and I did it for good. There is no turning back. I might go back to it, perhaps, if it went F2P some time in the far future for nostalgia's sake but I don't want to spend any more money and time on it.

2. About the same time, I also stopped maintaining my Bankalt.com site. I'm really sorry about that one folks. I know some of you found it really useful, but there was simply too much work involved maintaining it, keeping it updated and adding new features that it wasn't worth the time and effort, especially since it was a money sink and the ad revenue barely paid for the hosting.

3. I realized that I wasted a few precious years playing WoW and not doing much else. Since I quit WoW I focused more on my personal health, through better nutrition and exercise. Now I feel better, look better, am stronger and healthier. It's a long and difficult journey but it's worth it if you stick to it and make it a way of life.

4. I've been playing mostly World of Tanks during this time. It's a great game, well balanced, easy to learn but hard to master. It has the best F2P model in the industry in my opinion. In fact, if you so desire, you can play the whole damn thing (from tier I to tier X) without paying a cent. It will take longer, of course, but it's perfectly doable. I like to call it an online First Person Shooter with tanks. If you haven't played it already, do yourself a favor and give it a try. The same people (Wargaming) have now released World of Warplanes which is a very similar game, except with planes rather than tanks.

5. I also played a lot of Diablo 3. This was my most anticipated game ever but unfortunately didn't live up to the hype. I even started a new blog focused on Diablo 3, called Diablo Head. That didn't last very long. When I realized how empty it felt compared to Diablo 2, I lost steam and stopped playing it and posting on the blog. I still play D3 every now and then, but that's because my Paragon 51 Wizard is very well equipped and it's fun to destroy everything in my path with my Archon build. But it has mostly become a mindless exercise.

6. I dabbled a little in Path of Exile, which is a pretty good F2P Diablo clone. Some say that it's a true spiritual successor not only to Diablo 2, but also to the original Diablo, with its dark and gritty art. I like it, but I stopped playing that as well, because it got really hard from a relatively low level. It feels very hardcore to me and I guess I'm not that kind of gamer anymore.

7. Currently I'm playing Borderlands 2, which I got recently from the Steam Summer Sale, for $20, including the first 4 expansions (Season Pass). It was a very good deal and I wanted this game for a long time, I was just waiting for it to be on sale.

And that's about it folks. If you got any questions, use the contact email or comment here and I'll try to answer them. Thank you all for being a fan and reading my blog for so long and I wish you all the very best in your future gaming adventures!

No comments: