Pages

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Extra Gold with Fiery Enchant

Today I will share another of my gold-making strategies. This is actually something that I discovered recently and even though it doesn't make a lot of gold, it is quick to do and it provides a steady source of income.

I'm talking about the Enchant Weapon - Fiery Weapon enchant. Of course, if you are not an enchanter or don't have access to one, feel free to skip this.

Recently, while I was running around Blackrock Depths trying to get a pattern needed for Jeeves, I chanced upon a minor boss. After killing this dude, he dropped the formula for the Fiery enchant. Apparently this dude named Pyromancer Loregrain is actually a rare elite that doesn't spawn all the time and the drop rate for the formula seems to be only 16%. I guess I was double lucky that I got it on my first sighting of him and I wasn't even expecting it.

Once I had the formula, since it is BoE, I had two choices: sell it on the Auction House for a little over 200 gold or send it to my enchanter and then try to sell some scrolls of Fiery.

Before I made my final decision, I checked the prices for the scroll and the required mats. The mats are:
4x Small Radiant Shard
1x Essence of Fire

On my server the shards go for around 8G. I won't pay more than that but usually I can find them for less. The essences are 1G or less. I also use a Weapon Vellum III but I consider that to be free or almost free. Total cost of mats is around 30-35 gold.

The scrolls sell consistently for 60+ gold, usually around 65. Sometimes even 75, depending on the competition. Since there are no deposit costs, I can list for 48 hours and just forget about them. I will usually list 1-2 scrolls at a time so I don't flood the market. It seems that I'm lucky enough to have decent competition, in that they won't undercut massively and they won't flood.

So what's the big deal about this enchant? Personally I've never really appreciated these proc-based enchants, although I did get a Fiery enchant on my Rogue once, when I was leveling him. A lot of people like it though and some buy it only for the graphic aspect because it does make weapons look cool.

And there you have it: a rare enchant that has a good profit margin and gives you another steady source of income. If you don't want to spend time going into Blackrock Depths you can simply buy it from the Auction House. It will pay for itself many times over.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is likely popular due to its ability to be placed on heirloom weapons.

mike said...

Agree with that. Decent enchant for heirloom weapons, though I've gone with Crusader myself. Unfortunately, on my serve they run 35-40g, so not much money making on that one.

Celebrandil said...

I remember back in the first half of 2005, when WoW was still very new and their were so many things to discover, you could make a fortune by selling the Beastslayer weapon enchant. It was not a very good enchant, but it made the weapon glow red, and people wanted it like crazy. Back then nobody could enchant Crusader let alone afford the materials. ^^

Darth Solo said...

Yeah lol the Beastslayer enchant... That was the first enchant I got on my Paladin. Heh, those days...

Jederus said...

Great tip! Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I finished up my last Coren Direbrew pug yesterday (3rd toon) and decided to see more of the instance. That is really quite a place. I actually got into trouble once as my DK nearly got overwhelmed by a whole flurry of fire elementals but she fought her way through it. I definitely want to go back and see more of it again - but next time I think it will be my Paladin.

Skraps said...

I always like to keep a grey dagger and staff in the bank enchanted with firey. They do not get soul bound on use and are excellent for the 1-10 trip for new toons. Nothing like 1 shotting all the mobs from level 1-5, 2 shotting from 5-10 when firey procs.

Darth Solo said...

@Skraps that's a great tip, thanks!