Pages

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Woot! Azure Whelpling!


Tonight my death knight finally hit 80. Big moment yada yada. To start off 80 with a bang, he had a Spiked Titansteel Helm and a Titansteel Destroyer waiting for him. Only problem was, his 2-hand mace skill was exactly zero.

Since the weapons master is in Ironforge I thought I would step outside the city to level my weapon skill. Dumb idea, of course. After a few minutes of butchering boars I realized I was living a WTF moment. Then it dawned upon me.

In a previous post I talked about how I'd been bitten by the vanity pet bug on my hunter main. Some of the pets you can buy off the auction house are the various flavors of whelplings that have roughly a 1/1000 chance to drop and sell for anywhere between 800-2000G (or more!).

So I thought, ok... one of the best ways to level weapon skill on a level 80 character is by slaughtering some 60-ish elites. Which also happen to drop one of those rare whelplings. Thus, I headed for Azshara to grind the elite dragonkin there.

To my utter amazement, the Azure Whelpling dropped after exactly 30 minutes of grinding these guys! That's over 800G per half-hour of playing! If I had sold the whelpling. Which I didn't because I want it on my hunter.

I was simply not expecting it to drop, especially that quickly! Great farming spot though. On a 80 death knight, those elites drop like flies, in 2-3 blows max. Besides, they're a gold mine for a skinner. They give 1-2 Thick Leather and Rugged Leather. Not to mention a load of assorted greens with nice stats that can be sold for a few gold each, plus a crapload of trash grays that vendor for a nice amount.

In an hour of grinding there, I leveled my 2-hand mace skill close to 400. I was hoping for a second Azure Whelpling but I guess you can't get lucky twice in the same night.

No comments: