Pages

Friday, November 25, 2011

Today only: $79 Nook Simple Touch from BN

Just in case you've been living under a rock for the past couple of days, let me be the last one to let you know that Barnes & Noble is selling a limited edition of the Nook Simple Touch e-reader, today only (November 25th 2001), for only $79, down from the regular $100.

First, I have no affiliation with Barnes & Noble whatsoever. Second, I thought I would post this here because I'm sure many of you are avid readers, just like I am. Fantasy and SF buffs usually are.

Why would you buy this e-reader? If you have an older reader that is not locked into, say, Amazon, this is a good buy. If you don't have an e-reader yet and are thinking about switching to e-books, this is also a good buy. Myself, I had an older reader, a Sony PRS-300 that served me well over the past 2 years. As of late, however, I felt the need for a better reader: a larger screen (the Sony has a 5" screen), faster page turns, screen with better contrast and also a touch interface.

The Nook Simple Touch has all the above: 6" screen that uses the new e-ink Pearl technology (which the latest Kindle also shares), much faster page turns and book loading than my old Sony, a dictionary, a longer lasting battery, WiFi, a responsive touch screen and a microSD slot. Compared to the Sony it does have 2 disadvantages: it is sightly taller and wider (but feels thinner because of the beveled back) and it doesn't have an aluminum face plate like the Sony. The bigger dimensions give it an extra wide bezel which allows you to told it better.

B&N are only offering this special edition for $79 today so if you like the deal, go now and buy it! The one thing that makes it "special" is the fact that it has a white bezel around the edge while the regular version has a black bezel. Otherwise it's identical to the regular Touch reader.

Here's B&N's page for this promo.

Personally I think this was a very good deal. E-reader prices will continue to go down but there are finally several choices under $100 and now's a good a time as any to buy a new reader. Here are some shots I took of my new reader, as well as a comparison to the Sony PRS-300 Pocket Edition.





 




 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Real men read real books. E-books are for yuppie dorks.

Darth Solo said...

Real men drive horse-drawn carriages. Cars are for yuppie dorks.

See what I did there?