Pages

Monday, June 1, 2009

Solo-ing the Fel Reaver

Remember that blasted Fel Reaver in Hellfire Peninsula that gave you so much grief when you were trying to level up through the zone? Well, now that you're a big boy (or girl) of 80, you can finally exact your revenge and kick his ass to kingdom come.

I'd obviously read plenty of stories about level 80s solo-ing the Fel Reaver but I had never tried it myself before. Back at 70, a group of at least 2 people was needed, if not 3 or more. Since my 80 hunter was in the area and since I came across one, I decided to see how fast it would go down. Here are the results:

I have to say, it was a lot easier than I expected. Even though this elite mob has 104K health, it took me roughly 1 minute to bring it down. Here are the "resources" I used in killing it (as a hunter, of course):
My aggro at the end of the fight had almost reached that of my pet's at over 52K (as per Omen).

He dropped a few silver and a grey item so if you're planning to "farm" him, I can tell you it's pointless. Doing it for the lols however, is very recommended.

So if you're 80 and feel like kicking some weak mob's ass, the good ol' Fel Reaver is waiting for you.

9 comments:

Joe said...

im a 77 rogue now, but even at 80 i doubt i could solo a reaver, mainly because im sub spec, rather than combat, so my longevity isn't that long. That all said, anything round 70-80k i can solo usually, its just that extra few 10k's i cant get past because my dodge cooldowns are too long :S Thought i'd also throw in the update i have cold weather and epic flying and a fast mount, which makes life so much easier!! I'm still grindin a bit more skyguard rep should finish the last 8000 tongiht though, as a lvl 80 lock in my guild wants to grind as well, he made 20k rep yesterday in 3 hrs just killing mobs. I just flew after him :p I so want my Ray now!!! and my little pet Ray as well! sooo close!

Shawn said...

I am so soloing that bastard once I hit 80. Payback for all the times he snuck up on me when I was looking the other way. How a giant evil robot sneaks up on you, I have no idea.

Bloodshrike said...

Hey, I mentioned your site in my blog, but never got around to actually coming back and giving tips on making some quick gold. Here you go.
http://aboyandhisdeathrays.blogspot.com/2009/02/um-uhhh-those-spider-kabobs-are-tasty.html

/salute to another solo WoW player

And btw, I regularly post the Tasty Lion Steak/Kaldorei Spider Kabob/Roasted Moongraze Tenderloin recipes for 265-299 gold nowadays on Horde side (PvE or PvP), and they still sell.

Darth Solo said...

@Joe gratz on the mount!
I'm pretty sure that rogues can solo the reaver at 80. You guys have a lot of avoidance, especially if you spec for it. Heck I have a 70 rogue myself but I find him very fragile... maybe I don't know how to play the class. Anyhoo, the reaver wasn't hitting my pet very hard but then again, the pet has a ton more armor and HP than the average 80 rogue.

@Shawn It's so sad that it's almost funny. I think he "sneaks" up on people because of a trick of perspective. Sometimes he seems much farther away than he really is. His aggro radius is pretty small so maybe it makes people feel safe and a bit reckless. Anyway, it's a pain in the ass because you can't really go safely AFK in HFP.

@Bloodshrike great tip with the recipes! That's a very novel way of making money. It's amazing how many different methods people will discover!

whatsmymain said...

I was helping my druid friend level with my 66 dk and we came across a Fel Reaver. Took us 2 attempts but we managed to 2 man him with a 66 dk and 64 druid. Fun times!

Darth Solo said...

Spanking him on your own is twice as satisfying!

Unknown said...

FYI, you gotta kill a fel reaver during the quest chain to get the Shattered Halls Key.

Darth Solo said...

Yeah I heard about that recently but back in the day, you needed a group for that.

Anonymous said...

i uploaded 2 videos on dailymotion.com with my 70'iers soloing the felreaver. feel free to go there and watch.