Pages

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

AFK on a Node

So I was in Icecrown the other day and I had just grabbed a bunch of dailies from the Tournament. I was flying west and I spotted a Saronite ore on my minimap. It was right on the edge of the continent. I swooped down on my gryphon but when I got close there was a guy already on top of the node on his flying mount. Of course, I aborted my descent and continued on my way.

15 minutes or so later, after I had killed Chillmaw and the Commanders under the Citadel with a group, I returned to the Tournament along the same route. When I got close to where I spotted that node the first time, there it was again on the minimap. I swooped down again... to find the very same guy on his mount, on top of the very same node.

What I did next is obvious. I landed on the node, mined it and flew away. The whole episode baffled me. For one thing, there's this guy who's AFK on that node for some strange reason. Was he AFK-guarding it for someone else? If he was a miner, he would have mined it himself. I don't see another explanation. For another, every other miner who passed that way during those 15 minutes probably acted in the same manner that I did. They respected that guy's claim.

I'm really wondering what went through that guy's head. It's likely that he just happened to AFK on a node, without realizing it. On the other hand, if he was actually guarding the node, well then, tough luck.

So what do you think about this? What's the weirdest thing that happened to you regarding a node? What would you have done in this case?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe he just got real life stuff to do and simply left the game for a while, just before landing and mining the node. No one would ever camp a saronite node, come on :-))

Anonymous said...

As far as i have noticed, its first come first serve... in real time. If you go AFK you loose the right of the claim. I mean really, if your not there to defend your claim, then you claim nothing and anyone can have the node. Beside you dont really know if he came, mined the node and then went AFK. In the time he was AFK another node reappeared. He would loose any claim to the next node, because he doesnt even know its there. He's AFK...
Well thats the Law of the MMO land I have experienced, but hey maybe im wrong...

HokieJayBee said...

if you're a miner and that's your only way of making gold, and need to be pseudo-afk for a while (like laundry, cooking, eating, cleaning, etc.)...

why not go afk on a saronite node and come back to the computer every ~5 minutes and if you get lucky, you get lucky.

triptych21 said...

@HokieJayBee

I used to do that quite alot. I'd find an isolated node, that is usually missed during mining runs, and afk on it while I was doing something else.

I might get stuff, I might not, but for the minimum amount of effort I'd spend on it, it was always worth it.

Darth Solo said...

You guys got a point. In any case I also go by "first come first served" but I'll never claim a node that someone else has clearly reached first or if someone is fighting close to one.

Anonymous said...

There is also the possibility that it was a bot that auto mined every so often. I have seen people getting rep that way.

Geforce said...

this is certainly a strange thing to do.

What once happened to me, was doing herbing routes in TBC in Shadowmoon V and I saw 4-5 can't remember correct, people trying to be the first of that bunch to gather a silly pfft whats the name again, the SMV only herb? anyways I had a good laugh cause I was watching it from above and noticed another node not that far away (on minimap visible) that nobody was taking :)

Dalaila (ShadowsongEU) said...

This comment is to let you know that I loved your Engi guide. I dropped herbalism and switched to engi in 1 day more or less (425/450 enough for arrows, rocket gloves, flying cloack, speedy boots). I'm not in a hurry for jeeves so... I will enjoy my new firepower for now :D

Darth Solo said...

@Anonymous I doubt it was a bot. The guy had one of those achievement mounts.

@Geforce lol blinded by greed!

@Dalaila hey thanks! I glad my guide helped. I think you should go for Jeeves. The schematic is really easy to get. The only difficult part is navigating inside BRD if you don't know the place. And after that, the price of the mats...