Pages

Friday, April 3, 2009

How Not to Get Disconnected When AFK

Here's a trick I learned by accident. This will work best on your bank alt, or any character that's close to an Auction House.

Let's say you want to go AFK for 10-15 minutes, maybe to brush your teeth or fix a snack. You don't want to log out for a variety of reasons. One big reason is that it takes a few minutes for the game to load and that's especially true for people with slow computers.

So where does the AH come in? Well, if you AFK in a random spot, especially in a city with high population, you run the risk of finding yourself disconnected when you return to your computer. I found out that if you open the Auction House window and leave it open, you remain logged indefinitely. I don't know why that happens but I'm assuming there's some kind of persistent communication between the server and client when the AH window is open.

So far I've used this little "exploit" successfully on my bank alt and I have never been disconnected.

No comments: